How to Become a Psychologist After 12th in India
Psychology courses explore the intricacies of the human mind and mental traits. Students have a wide array of options for psychology courses after 12th, including undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, online, and certificate programs.
A bachelor's degree typically takes three years, while a postgraduate degree takes two years. Doctoral programs in psychology can span from two to five years. Diploma and PG Diploma courses in psychology typically range from six months to a year.
Certificate courses in psychology are shorter, lasting from a few hours to a maximum of six months, and you can pursue certification programs in psychology either online or offline. Some of the most sought-after specializations in psychology courses include applied psychology, child psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, rehabilitation, and adolescent psychology.
What is Psychology?
Psychology, though a relatively young science, has emerged as a prominent multidisciplinary field in the 21st century. Its core principles are applied in various other domains like sociology, biology, sports, health, education, counseling, forensics, law, and more. Psychologists undergo rigorous training to practice professionally.
Despite growing awareness about mental well-being, many people still don't seek psychological support. However, there's a significant increase in career opportunities for psychologists across diverse fields. This trend makes psychology a unique and promising career choice with rewarding prospects.
This blog explores psychology courses available after the 12th grade that students can pursue.
How to Become a Psychologist After 12th in India?
The common question asked by students is ‘After 12th, how to become a Psychologist in India?’. Becoming a psychologist in India involves several steps after completing your Class 12th board exams.
- Clear Entrance Exams: Focus on clearing entrance exams to enroll in undergraduate programs at top colleges.
- Choose Your Path: Pursue a B.A. or B.Sc. course in psychology or consider alternative certification or diploma courses to specialize in your area of interest.
- Study Broadly: During your undergraduate studies, develop a deep understanding of subjects like psychology and behavioral patterns.
- Maintain Grades: Maintain a minimum aggregate of 50% or above to be eligible for postgraduate courses.
- Pursue a Postgraduate Program: After your bachelor's degree, prepare for entrance exams to enroll in a postgraduate program.
- Specialize: Choose a specialization based on your preferences, like clinical psychology, counseling, or industrial psychology.
- Gain Experience: Opt for internships, paid or unpaid, to gain practical field knowledge while in college.
- Consider Doctorate: If you aspire to be a clinical psychologist, pursue doctorate courses after completing your postgraduate program.
Following these steps will set you on the path to becoming a psychologist in India.
Psychologist Courses After 12th
Here is the detailed information about psychology courses after the 12th, eligibility criteria, duration of the course, and psychology courses after 12th fees:
|BA Psychology||Minimum 55% marks in 12th (any stream) or merit-based admission through entrance exam||3 Years||₹15,000 - ₹4,00,000|
|BA (Hons) Psychology||Minimum 55% marks in 12th (any stream) or merit-based admission through entrance exam||3 Years||₹20,000 - ₹6,00,000|
|B.Sc. Psychology||Minimum 50% marks in 12th (Science stream) or merit-based admission through entrance exam||3 Years||₹20,000 - ₹5,00,000|
|B.Sc. (Hons) Psychology||Minimum 50% marks in 12th (Science stream) or merit-based admission through entrance exam||3 Years||₹10,000 - ₹5,00,000|
|Dual Degree - BA & MA Clinical Psychology||Minimum 50% marks in 12th (any stream)||4.5 Years||₹10,000 - ₹5,00,000|
|Diploma in Psychology||Must have passed 10 + 2||2 Years||₹20,000 - ₹2,00,000|
Here are some of the entrance exam for psychology after 12th in India:
|Exam Name||Conducted By|
|Amrita Engineering Entrance Exam (AEEE)||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham|
|Lovely Professional University National Entrance and Scholarship Test (LPUNEST)||Lovely Professional University|
|Maharshi Dayanand University Common Entrance Exam (MDUCEE)||Maharshi Dayanand University|
|National Test for Programs After Twelfth (NPAT)||NMIMS University|
|Telangana State Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET)||Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad (JNTUH)|
|Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU-OET)||Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Manipal University)|
|TISS Bachelor’s Admission Test (TISS BAT)||Tata Institute of Social Sciences|
|Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test (IPU CET)||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University|
Top Psychology Colleges in India
Here are the top psychology colleges in India after 12th completion:
- Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) - Aligarh
- Christ University - Bangalore
- Fergusson College - Pune
- Gautam Buddha University - Greater Noida
- Gujarat Forensic Sciences University - Gandhinagar
- Jamia Millia Islamia - New Delhi
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women - New Delhi
- Lovely Professional University (LPU) - Jalandhar
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences - Bengaluru
- Osmania University - Hyderabad
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) Mumbai - Mumbai
- St. Xavier's College - Ahmedabad
1. How many years does it take to become a psychologist after 12th in India?
It takes around 4-6 years to become a psychologist after 12th in India.
2. How can I apply for psychology after 12th in India?
3. How can I get admission to psychology after the 12th?
To secure admission to psychology courses after the 12th, you typically need to meet the eligibility criteria set by colleges or universities, which may include minimum academic scores and possibly entrance exams, and then follow their application procedures.
4. What is the fastest way to become a psychologist?
The fastest way to become a psychologist is to pursue a bachelor's degree in psychology followed by a master's degree in the same field, which typically takes around 4-6 years in total.
5. Which is better a BA or a BSc in psychology?
The choice between a BA or BSc in psychology depends on the student’s specific interests, with a BA focusing more on the social and behavioral aspects, while a BSc includes a stronger emphasis on scientific and research-based aspects of psychology.