Endocrinology Courses in India (2024)
In today's healthcare landscape, the demand for endocrinologists is steadily rising, fueled by increasing awareness of endocrine disorders and their impact on overall health. The demand for specialized professionals in endocrinology is growing as our understanding of endocrinology function and endocrinology disorders grows.
There are various endocrinologist degree courses are available for different educational backgrounds and career goals.
In this blog, students can explore the diverse range of endocrinology courses in India and the endocrinologist career scope.
What is Endocrinology course?
Endocrinology meaning is that it is a study of hormonal systems and their medical implications, and encompasses diagnosing and treating disorders related to hormone-producing glands. Endocrinologists, specialized physicians in this field, offer comprehensive treatment options for hormonal conditions.
To pursue endocrinology, students typically complete their M.B.B.S. and then opt for postgraduate or doctoral studies. The coursework involves extensive knowledge of clinical chemistry and biochemistry. The Master's program spans three years, while the Doctorate program lasts two years.
Endocrinology courses delve into the intricacies of hormonal diseases, providing students with the expertise to address various endocrine disorders effectively.
Eligibility Criteria for Endocrinology Courses
Endocrinology eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Students must complete a five-and-a-half year-long M.B.B.S. degree, with a Science background.
- Biology, Chemistry, and Physics as major subjects in the science stream.
- Students need an M.B.B.S. or related degree.
- Students must have a Bachelor's degree.
- A minimum of 55% of marks is mandatory,
- Completing 10+2 with at least 50% from a recognized board is mandatory, with subjects including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics.
- Completion of a one-year internship is a must.
- A minimum of 50% of marks is necessary in 10+2.
- Postgraduate specialization in a related field is necessary.
- Completion of a one-year internship is typically mandated.
Admission Process for Endocrinology Courses
Admission into Endocrinology courses typically involves performance in national entrance exams. Students must hold an MBBS degree from a recognized institution and excel in the entrance tests for MD/MS courses.
Some colleges conduct their entrance exams, followed by counseling. Admission is based on NEET and NEET PG scores in most colleges. The endocrinology fees range from Rs 30,000 to Rs 32,00,000.
Some of the entrance exams for endocrinology courses are:
|All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) Entrance Exam
|All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS), New Delhi
|Delhi University Entrance Exam
|Delhi University, Delhi
|Calicut University Medical Entrance Exam
|University of Calicut
|Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) Medical Entrance Exam
|Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)
|University of Madras Medical Entrance Exam
|University of Madras
|Mahatma Gandhi University Medical Entrance Exam
|Mahatma Gandhi University, Jaipur
Endocrinology Course Syllabus
Endocrinology covers a broad spectrum of subjects that offer students exposure to diverse topics within the field.
|Sexual Function in males and females and Reproductive Endocrinology
|Neuroendocrinology and Pituitary Disease
|Adrenal Gland and Adrenal Hormones
|Growth and Maturity
|Calciotropic Hormone and Bone Metabolism
|Obesity, Anorexia, and Nutrition
|Immunology and Endocrinology
|Endocrinology of Pregnancy
|Endocrine Tumor Syndromes
|Endocrine involvement in other management of disorders and medical disorders
|Endocrine changes in critically ill patients
|Anatomy, Physiology, and Lab Methods of Endocrinology
|Clinical research, and basic research including statistical methods
|Relevant theoretical aspects of surgical endocrine procedures
|Computer databases for delaying Endocrine disorders
|Relevant radiological and nuclear medicine aspects
|Hormone assay procedures
Top Colleges for Endocrine Courses in India
Here is a list of top endocrinology colleges in India:
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- King Edward Memorial Hospital and Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College, Mumbai
- Topiwala National (TN) Medical College and BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, Mumbai
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (AIMS), Edappally
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS), Tirupati
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS), Lucknow
- Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai
Future Scope of Endocrinology Courses
Endocrinology, the study of hormone-related issues, is witnessing a surge in demand due to environmental factors and lifestyle changes. The prevalence of hormonal disorders among people of all ages underscores the critical role of endocrinologists in diagnosing and treating these conditions, which if left unattended, can have serious consequences.
The endocrinology career prospects both within India and abroad. Graduates in Endocrinology can explore various job roles, including
- Physical Therapist
- Biological Scientist
- Dental Hygienist
- Surgical Technologist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Medical Scientist
These professions offer competitive salaries ranging from 2 to 6 lakhs per annum, reflecting the lucrative future awaiting professionals in the field of Endocrinology.
You can find endocrinology courses in the top colleges in India on Docthub.
1. What are endocrinology symptoms?
Endocrinology symptoms include fatigue, weight changes, mood swings, irregular menstruation, and disturbances in sleep patterns.
2. What does an endocrinologist do?
An endocrinologist diagnoses and treats disorders related to the endocrine system, which involves hormone imbalances affecting various bodily functions and organs.
3. How to become an endocrinologist?
To become an endocrinologist, students must obtain a bachelor's degree, complete medical school and a residency, obtain a medical license, pursue a fellowship in endocrinology, and finally, become board-certified.
4. What is endocrinology disease?
Endocrinology diseases are disorders that result from hormone imbalances or dysfunctions in the endocrine system, affecting various bodily functions and organs.
5. What are the future prospects for endocrinology?
The future prospects for endocrinology are promising, with increasing demand for specialists to address hormone-related disorders due to factors like lifestyle changes and environmental influences.