What is the process of counselling for the NEET PG?
The NEET PG is a common entrance exam for medical post-graduation admission in India. The admission counselling is conducted for MD/ MS/ DNB courses for around 65,000 seats in different clinical, para-clinical and non-clinical seats after MBBS. Every year around 1.6 - 1.7 lakh (160k - 170k) MBBS graduates appear for the NEET PG examination. The exam is soon going to be replaced with the NExT examination from 2024 onwards (as per the recent announcement by the National Medical Commission).
The NEET PG admission counselling is conducted by two types of government agencies: Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) and State Medical Counselling Authority (as defined by the respected state government).
What is Medical Counselling Committee (MCC)?
The MCC is a central government agency which conducts medical pg admissions on MD/ MS/ DNB seats across India. The students need to register online through its official website, www.mcc.nic.in. The MCC is governed by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India.
What type of PG Seats are included in MCC PG Counselling? What seat distribution is in MCC PG?
- 100% All India Quota (AIQ)
- 100% DNB Quota (NBES Degree & Diploma) seats
- 100% Management/ Paid Quota (Deemed University) seats
- 100% Non-Resident Indian (NRI) Quota (Deemed University)
- AMU (Aligarh Muslim University) Quota
- BHU (Banaras Hindu University) Quota
- DU (Delhi University) Quota
- IP (Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University) Quota
What is included in MCC PG AIQ Quota?
- 50% seats of State Government Medical Colleges across India
- 50% seats of BHU (Banaras Hindu University)
- 50% seats of AMU (Aligarh Muslim University)
- 50% seats of Delhi University (DU), Central Institutes, IP University
What seat reservation is in NEET PG AIQ Quota?
- 15% Schedule Caste (SC)
- 7.5% Schedule Tribe (ST)
- 27% OBC- (Non-Creamy Layer) as per the Central OBC list
- 10% Economic Weaker Section (EWS)
- 5% Physical Handicap (PwD): 21 Benchmark Disabilities under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016
What are MCC PG Counselling Rules?
- MCC announce the SCHEDULE for different rounds, choice filling deadlines, Institute reporting deadlines
- MCC conduct 4 ROUNDS of allotment
- Pattern: After every MCC-PG allotment round, the consequent schedule of the State Counselling round
- Only Round-1 has allowed candidates for FREE EXIT.
- Round-2 onwards NO FREE EXIT: If do not join the allotted seat, the Registration Fee will be forfeited
- Candidate Can not hold 2 seats at a time: MCC & State Counselling
- Opting Upgradation: Your existing Reported Seat will be as allotted if you do not get a new seat in the Next round.
- Allotment Letter: After each allotment round, if you have been allotted any seat, you can download this letter from your MCC-PG Online Account.
- Admission Letter: After allotment, you need to go to the allotted institute for Document Verification then only your seat admission has been confirmed & will be issued an Admission Letter.
NOTE: The above details are as per MCC PG Information Bulletin 2022.
What are different State PG Medical Counselling Committees?
- GUJARAT: Admission Committee for Professional Post-Graduate Medical Courses (ACPPGMEC)
- MAHARASHTRA: Directorate of Medical Education & Research, Maharashtra
- RAJASTHAN: Rajasthan Medical PG Counselling Committee 2022
- KERALA: Commissioner for Entrance Examination (CEE), Govt. of Kerala
- TELANGANA: Kaloji Narayana Rao University of Health Sciences (KNRUHS)
- ANDHRA PRADESH: NTRUHS Medical PG Admission committee
- TAMIL NADU: Directorate of Medical Education, Govt. of Tamilnadu
- DELHI: Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi
- BIHAR: Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board (BCECEB)
- UTTAR PRADESH: Directorate of Medical Education and Training, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- WEST BENGAL: West Bengal Medical Counselling Committee (WBMCC)
- MADHYA PRADESH: Department of Medical Education, Govt. of Madhya Pradesh
- KARNATAKA: Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA)
- PUNJAB: Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot
- HARYANA: Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma University of Health Sciences, Rohtak
- HIMACHAL PRADESH: Directorate of Medical Education & Research, Simla, Govt. of HP
- JHARKHAND: Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board (JCECEB)
- ODISHA: Directorate of Medical Education & Training, Bhubaneshwar, Odisha
- CHHATTISGARH: Directorate of Medical Education, Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- UTTARAKHAND: Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Medical University
- PUDUCHERRY: Department of Higher and Technical Education, Govt. of Puducherry
- JAMMU & KASHMIR: Jammu & Kashmir Board of Professional Entrance Examination
- ASSAM: Directorate of Medical Education, Assam
- TRIPURA: Directorate of Medical Education, Govt. of Tripura
- MANIPUR: Manipur Health Directorate, Govt. of Manipur
- SIKKIM: Education Department, Govt. of Sikkim
- NAGALAND: Department of Technical Education, Nagaland
- MIZORAM: Department of Higher and Technical Education, Mizoram
- ARUNACHAL PRADESH: Directorate of Higher & Technical Education, Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh
If I can’t secure my admission for residency then what other options I can go for?
If you fail to secure a seat for your residency and still wish to go for a clinical practice then you can go for a fellowship. Fellowship provides you an opportunity to practice in your choice of options without going for NEET PG entrance exam. You can find the list of all the available fellowships here.
- How do I proceed with NEET PG Counselling?
The NEET PG is conducted by The National Board of Examination (NBE), you need to register yourself along with all the required details to proceed with NEET PG counselling.
- How many Counselling rounds are there in NEET PG?
In total there are 4 rounds of NEET PG counselling.
- What happens in the NEET Counselling process?
The Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) and The State Medical Counselling Authority (as defined by the respected state government) provide admissions to the candidates based on their merit, choice filling, quota etc.
- What happens in PG Counselling?
During PG Counselling medical students try to secure their admission for residency, there are in total 4 rounds and multiple factors decide if you can secure your admission.
- What happens when you get Counselling?
Depending on what stage you are during your counselling you can decide your step ahead, if you have already secured your admission in the first round then you need to proceed with the medical institute for your document verification and admission process, if you’ve not secured a seat after first round then you need to follow the upcoming rounds and make choices accordingly.