What Is a Marketing Executive? Roles and Skills Need in 2023
Marketing executives are people who manage and oversee the different marketing strategies of a company. They use their expertise to advertise products and services by executing unique marketing campaigns. If you're interested in becoming a marketing executive, it's helpful to understand the job description, required skills, how to become one, and what salary you can expect.
Marketing executives are professionals responsible for overseeing and managing the execution of different marketing strategies for a company. In this article, we will answer the question “What is a marketing executive?”, and explain their role, how to become one, the skills required to become one, and their salary prospects.
What is a marketing executive?
A marketing executive plans develops and oversees the overall marketing strategies and campaigns to promote a company's brands, products, or services. They work to promote their company's products or services, using various methods such as social media, print, television, and online advertising. Their aim is to help companies achieve their goals by increasing sales and revenue, building brand awareness, and improving customer satisfaction.
Roles and Responsibility of Marketing Executive
A marketing executive is responsible for planning, developing, and overseeing marketing strategies and campaigns to promote a company's brands, products, or services. Here are some of the key roles and responsibilities of a marketing executive:
- Developing Marketing Plans: The marketing executive creates marketing plans that are unique to different products and services.
- Improving Marketing Strategies: The marketing executive also reviews and improves existing marketing strategies.
- Networking: They network with suppliers, large contractors, partner organizations, and other business stakeholders to improve the company's brand recognition.
- Conducting Research: The marketing executive conducts marketing research and analysis to produce relevant marketing information and evaluate trends.
- Monitoring Campaigns: They monitor ongoing marketing campaigns and spending based on the budget allocated.
- Generating Reports: The marketing executive creates and generates reports related to an ongoing marketing campaign's key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Creating Marketing Collaterals: They create engaging and grammatically correct marketing collaterals such as brochures, flyers, and website content.
- Ensuring Distribution: The marketing executive ensures the distribution of marketing materials to reach the target audience.
- Analyzing Market Trends: They monitor market trends and analyze customer activities to identify business opportunities.
Average Salary of a Marketing Executive
Marketing executives are responsible for creating and carrying out advertising plans that help a company sell its products or services. If you're considering a career as a marketing executive, you may be wondering about the average salary. In India, a Performance Marketing Executive with 1 year of experience can earn an average salary of INR 4 Lakhs to 7 Lakhs per year. However, the salary range may vary based on location and other factors.
Skills Required for a Marketing Executive
To succeed as a marketing executive, you must possess various skills. Here are some essential skills that a marketing executive should master for a rewarding career:
- Analytical skills: Marketing executives need to plan and execute marketing campaigns effectively. This requires strong analytical skills, which include analyzing the performance of marketing campaigns and conducting field research related to the products or services they market. They must also analyze consumer data and competitor's data, conduct financial analysis and stay updated with the latest marketing trends.
- Technical skills: A marketing executive needs to have core technical skills to create campaigns and track the performance of marketing efforts. Proficiency in using different marketing tools and software is a desired skill for this job role. Using different software like project management, analytical, communication, and presentation software can help perform duties efficiently.
- Creativity: Developing new marketing strategies and refining existing ones requires an excellent level of creativity. The ability to think of new and innovative ideas to compel customers to purchase your service or product is essential for a successful career as a marketing executive. Creativity can help in brainstorming ideas for advertising or marketing campaigns.
- Communication skills: Marketing executives communicate with various people, including their team members, colleagues, managers, and customer base. They use communication skills in almost every step of their work, from developing social media posts to creating marketing materials. Having mastery of verbal and written communication and understanding how to communicate with different people can help achieve organizational goals.
- Organization skills: As a marketing executive manages multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, they require excellent organizational skills. The ability to organize their schedule, create marketing campaigns before time and keep track of performance metrics is essential. Being organized helps reduce stress and perform duties efficiently.
- Copywriting skills: During a marketing campaign, a marketing executive creates a copy of a website, press release, social media posts, and ads for print advertisement, which requires excellent copywriting skills. Additionally, they may create interesting talking points for a television interview to increase public knowledge of their company's products or services. Knowing the fundamentals of copywriting and writing concisely to attract readers is an essential skill to becoming a successful marketing professional.
- Teamwork skills: Marketing executives work with different departments to develop and create marketing strategies. They may require inputs from the finance or technical team to create campaigns based on budget and requirements. Working as a team, interacting with other departments, and listening to what others say are essential for fulfilling all job-specific duties.
How to Become a Marketing Executive?
Here are some steps to follow if you want to become a successful marketing executive:
1. Get a Bachelor's Degree To start your career as a marketing executive, you need at least a Bachelor's Degree. Consider pursuing a degree in advertising, marketing, business, management, economics, or communications. Standard degree options include Bachelor of Business Management (BBM), Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), Bachelor of Commerce Honors (BCom H), or Bachelor of Arts (BA). Depending on the course, you may require a humanities or commerce stream in your 10+2.
2. Complete an Internship During your bachelor's, you can complete an internship to gain practical experience in the field of marketing. This hands-on experience can help you understand the job-specific duties of a marketing executive.
3. Gain Relevant Experience Companies prefer candidates with relevant work experience. You can start with an entry-level position as a marketing assistant, sales representative, or digital marketing skill specialist to get the necessary experience. Some of the essential digital marketing skills include search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), social media marketing, content marketing, email marketing, and analytics.
4. Pursue a Master's Degree To fast-track your career, you can pursue a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. With an MBA, you can aim for upper-level management positions. Employers prefer candidates with a master's degree and relevant experience. To get into an MBA college, students must first take an entrance exam and then participate in an interview process.
5. Earn a Certification To stand out from other candidates, consider earning a professional certification. Having this can demonstrate your educational background and expertise in the field of marketing. Some popular certifications for marketing executives include Google AdWords, Google Analytics, HubSpot Inbound Marketing, and Facebook Blueprint. Certification courses are offered both online and offline.
6. Prepare Your CV Your CV should highlight your education, experience, skills, and certifications. Pick relevant keywords from the job description to get shortlisted. This can help you make a positive impression on the employer and increase your chances of getting hired. Some of the essential marketing skills that you should highlight in your CV include strategic thinking, creativity, communication, leadership, project management, and data analysis.
Marketing Executive Job Description
The role of a marketing executive is to create and implement marketing plans aimed at advertising products or services. They work closely with various departments, including sales, advertising, public relations, and market research, to identify customer needs and preferences. Some of the job duties of a marketing executive include conducting market research, analyzing customer feedback, designing marketing campaigns, creating content, managing social media accounts, tracking metrics, and generating leads.
Is Marketing Executives a Good Job?
Marketing executive is a great job because it allows you to use your creativity to develop and execute marketing strategies that target specific audiences. The job is constantly changing because each product or service is unique, which presents different challenges that you need to address to successfully promote them. With time and experience, you can enhance your skills and earn a higher salary, making it a rewarding career choice.
Marketing Executive Work Environment
Marketing executives generally work in an office environment and spend long hours sitting at a desk. They typically work from 9 to 6 but may need to work on weekends or outside of regular hours depending on the project. As part of their job, they attend meetings and communicate with various business partners to ensure project success. The work environment may vary depending on the industry in which they work, but it is generally not considered a highly stressful job.
1. Is marketing executive a high position?
Yes, a marketing executive is considered a high-level position within a company's marketing department, responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies to drive business growth.
2. What is the qualification for a marketing executive?
The qualification for a marketing executive typically includes a bachelor's degree in marketing, business administration, or a related field, along with relevant work experience and strong communication and analytical skills.
3. Is marketing executive a hard job?
Being a marketing executive can be challenging due to the competitive nature of the industry, the need to constantly adapt to changing consumer trends and technology, and the pressure to achieve measurable results, but it can also be rewarding and fulfilling for those with a passion for marketing.
4. What is the job description of a paid marketing executive?
The job description of a paid marketing executive involves developing and implementing online advertising campaigns, managing budgets and targeting strategies, analyzing campaign performance, and optimizing campaigns for maximum return on investment (ROI).
5. What is the highest salary of a marketing executive?
The highest salary of a marketing executive in India can vary depending on factors such as location, industry, company size, and level of experience, but it typically ranges from ₹2,000,000 to ₹4,000,000 per year, with some earning even more in top-level executive positions.