What is a lab technician course in 2023?
DMLT or Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology is a 2-year course focusing on clinical lab tests to diagnose and treat illnesses and diseases. This DMLT course trains students to work as Medical Technicians, Lab Technicians, Pathology Technicians, and Medical Writers in public and private organizations.
Lab. Technician is a popular course for students interested in pursuing a career in the medical field. It provides a solid foundation for working in the healthcare industry and opens up opportunities for further specialization. Graduates can work in hospitals, clinics, and diagnostic centers to help diagnose and treat diseases.
Medical Lab. Technician Course Details
|Course Name||Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology|
|Commonly known as||DMLT course|
|Course type||Diploma program|
|Course duration||2 years|
|Minimum qualification||10+2 Science with Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB)|
What is Medical Lab Technician course?
A Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) is a paramedical science program that deals with diagnosing and treating various illnesses. It involves analyzing human fluids like urine, blood, peritoneal fluid, and pericardial fluid to identify diseases.
Medical Technician is a two-year program that teaches students about biochemistry, pathology, blood banking, and microbiology. Students also learn to use laboratory equipment and technologies such as CT Scan machines, X-ray machines, and MRI machines. The course provides hands-on experience conducting various lab tests required to diagnose a disease.
DMLT Course Eligibility Criteria
The requirements for admission into the Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) program in India are as follows:
- Completed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as compulsory subjects.
- The minimum age limit is 17 years, and no upper age limit.
- Scored at least 45-50% marks in 10+2 or equivalent examinations, depending on the institution.
- Some institutes may require passing an entrance exam.
- Some institutes may require passing a medical examination to ensure medical fitness.
- 10th-passed candidates with a minimum of 50% may also apply.
- Candidates awaiting their Higher Secondary Exam (HSC) results can also apply.
DMLT Course: Duration, and Fees
The duration of the DMLT course typically ranges from 1 to 2 years, depending on the institution and program. Course fees vary based on location, duration, and type of institution. Generally, government colleges charge less than private colleges.
In India, DMLT program fees can range from Rs 20,000 to Rs 1,50,000 or more for the entire course, and additional expenses may include laboratory and examination fees. Prospective students should consult with the specific institution for accurate information on course duration and fees.
DMLT Admission Process:
- To get admission to a DMLT course, candidates need to meet the eligibility criteria set by the institution, usually involving the completion of 10+2 with Biology as a subject.
- Some institutions may require candidates to take an entrance exam to qualify for admission.
- Candidates must fill out an application form, online or offline, with their personal and educational information.
- Shortlisted candidates are then required to attend a counseling session, which includes document verification, fee payment, and seat allotment.
- Finally, to confirm their admission, candidates must pay the required fees.
- However, the admission process may differ among institutions, so students should refer to the official website for accurate information.
Top Medical Lab Technician Colleges:
Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research, Kolkata, West Bengal
Premlila Vithaldas Polytechnic (PVP), Mumbai, Maharashtra
ITM - Institute of Health Sciences, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
University of Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
Delhi Institute of Technology and Paramedical Sciences, Delhi
Rajiv Gandhi Paramedical Institute, New Delhi
Delhi Paramedical and Management Institute (DPMI), Delhi
JIS University, Kolkata, West Bengal
Dinabandhu Andrews Institute of Technology and Management, Kolkata, West Bengal
1. Which course is best for lab technicians?
The best course for lab technicians depends on an individual's career goals and interests, but some popular options include DMLT (Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technician), BSc MLT (Bachelor in Science Medical Laboratory Technology), CMLT (Certificate Course in Medical Laboratory Technology), and PGDMLT (Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology).
2. What is the study for lab technicians?
The study for lab technicians is DMLT, BSc MLT, CMLT, and PGDMLT.
3. Is DMLT and lab technician the same?
DMLT or Diploma in Medical Lab Technology is a course whilst lab technician is a job role after you complete your DMLT course or any other medical lab technician course.
4. What is the scope of a lab technician?
The future scope of a lab technician is promising as there is an increasing demand for healthcare services and a growing need for medical tests, with opportunities for specialization and career advancement through continuing education and certification.
5. Is lab technician a good career?
Yes, lab technician is a good career choice for those who enjoy working in a laboratory environment and have a strong interest in healthcare and science, as it offers job stability, opportunities for career growth, and the satisfaction of making a positive impact on patient care.