What are the Career option after NEET PG 2024?
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) PG is an important exam for medical graduates in India who want to pursue post-graduation courses in medicine. These courses include MS (Mastery of Surgery), MD (Doctor of Medicine), and Diploma, with various specializations.
The NEET PG exam covers a range of specialized courses related to MS and MD. There are many specializations available for MD students including anatomy, anesthesia, dermatology, ENT, biochemistry, general surgery, forensic medicine, geriatrics, ophthalmology, orthopedics, and obstetrics and gynecology.
For MS, popular specializations include plastic surgery, ENT, OB-GYN, orthopedics, cardiology, and plastic surgery. Students can also pursue a diploma in pathology, radiotherapy, sports medicine, pulmonary, etc.
Most students prefer to pursue MS or MD, as these courses hold more value in India.
The NEET PG exam requires a high score and rank for admission to courses such as General Medicine, Radiology, and Dermatology.
Now many students will have the question, “After the NEET exam what to do?” - In this blog, we have provided information about the NEET-PG counseling process, the top branches in NEET-PG, and courses after MBBS without NEET-PG.
What after the NEET-PG results?
After the NEET PG result 2023 is declared, candidates will receive a merit list indicating their roll number, marks obtained out of 800, and rank. Successful candidates should download their NEET PG scorecard 2023.
Based on their scores, medical graduates can apply for various specializations of MD, MS, PG Diploma, and DNB courses. The first step for the candidates is to check if they have secured the NEET PG 2023 cutoff score or not. If they meet the cutoff, they must register for the NEET PG counseling. The counseling session will provide them with an opportunity to secure admission to their preferred courses.
NEET-PG Counseling Process
After the NEET PG exam results are declared, successful candidates must register for the NEET PG 2023 counseling. During this process, candidates must select and lock their preferred courses and pay the counseling fee. The NEET PG 2023 seat allotment results are then published based on the candidate's rank, selected choices, seat availability, reservation criteria, and other factors.
There are two types of NEET PG counseling in 2023:MCC NEET PG 2023 counseling and state quota NEET PG 2023 counseling.
The Directorate General of Health Services, Medical Counseling Committee, covers 50% of AIQ seats in government institutions, conducting the MCC NEET PG 2023 counseling; 100% of seats in central and deemed universities, ESIC, and AFMS institutes.
On the other hand, the respective state government/ authorities manage the state quota NEET PG counseling. Among the candidates, 50% will be allocated under the state quota system for government colleges; 100% will be allocated to private medical, minority institutes, state-established universities, municipal bodies, trusts, societies, or privately owned companies located in the state.
NEET-PG Counseling conducted by MCC
The NEET PG counseling conducted by MCC for 50% AIQ seats in government institutions, 100% seats in central and deemed universities, and ESIC institutes follows a step-by-step process:
- NEET PG counseling registration: Candidates must register for each counseling round separately.
- Payment of registration fees: Candidates must pay the NEET-PG counseling registration fees before proceeding to choice filling.
- Download NEET PG counseling registration slip: Candidates need to download and print their registration slip for future reference.
- Choice filling and locking: Candidates must fill in their preferred courses and colleges and lock their choices before the deadline.
- NEET PG seat allotment: Based on the candidate's rank, selected choices, and seat availability, the MCC will allocate seats to the candidates in their preferred courses and colleges.
NEET PG counseling conducted by state authority
State authorities conduct the NEET PG counseling for 50% of state quota seats in government colleges. 100% seats in private medical, minority institutes, universities established by an act of state, municipal bodies trusts, societies, or companies located in the state follows a step-by-step process:
- Filling out the application form: Candidates need to fill out the application form for NEET PG counseling released by the respective state authority.
- Payment of registration fee: Candidates need to pay the NEET-PG counseling 2023 registration fee as per the guidelines of the respective state authority.
- Choice filling and locking: Candidates need to fill in their preferred courses and colleges and lock their choices before the deadline.
- Release of NEET PG state merit list: The respective state authorities will release the NEET PG state merit list based on the candidate's rank.
- Declaration of NEET PG seat allotment result: Based on the candidate's rank, selected choices, and seat availability, the respective state authorities will allocate seats to the candidates in their preferred courses and colleges.
NEET PG Marks vs Rank
NEET PG marks vs rank is a crucial factor to consider when applying for NEET PG counseling. The rank obtained by a candidate in the NEET PG exam is directly proportional to their score in the exam. The higher the marks obtained, the better the rank secured, and vice versa.
Courses after qualifying for NEET-PG
After completing the NEET-PG exam, there are many different paths you can take to further your studies in the medical field. Here are a few options:
1. Super Specialization: Super specialization courses are designed
for medical professionals who want to become experts in a specific field of medicine. These courses are ideal for doctors who have a particular area of interest and want to gain more knowledge and skills in that field. Some of the best super specialization topics include
- Cardiology: This field deals with the diagnosis and treatment of heart diseases. A super specialization course in Cardiology can provide doctors with the knowledge and skills needed to treat various heart conditions.
- Neurology: This field focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the nervous system, including the brain and spinal cord. A super specialization course in Neurology can help doctors develop expertise in treating conditions such as epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson's.
- Gastroenterology: This field deals with the digestive system and its disorders. A specialization course in Gastroenterology can help doctors diagnose and treat conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.
- Oncology: This field focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. A super specialization course in Oncology can help doctors develop expertise in treating different types of cancer, such as lung cancer, breast cancer, and prostate cancer.
- Pulmonology: This field deals with the respiratory system and its disorders. A specialization course in Pulmonology can help doctors diagnose and treat conditions such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and lung cancer.
Super specialization courses can help doctors gain in-depth knowledge and expertise in a particular field of medicine, which can enhance their career prospects and improve patient outcomes.
2. Ph. D in a Medical Field: If you have a keen interest in medical
research and development, pursuing a Ph. D in a medical field could be an excellent option for you. This program will give you a deep understanding of your chosen field and help you contribute to the growth and development of the medical industry.
A ph.d. program typically involves significant research work and can take several years to complete. During this time, you will work closely with experienced researchers and faculty members to gain knowledge and expertise in your field.
Upon completion of the program, you will be able to pursue a career in academia, research, or industry. Some potential job roles include research scientist, medical writer, or professor. Overall, a ph.d. in the medical field can be a highly rewarding career path for those with a passion for research and development.
3. Fellowship: After clearing NEET-PG, you can pursue a fellowship
program that will provide you with in-depth knowledge and practical experience in a specific medical field. There are numerous fellowships available that you can select based on your interest and career aspirations.
Here are some examples of fellowships you can consider:
- Fellowship in Critical Care Medicine
- Fellowship in Infectious Disease
- Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology
- Fellowship in Emergency Medicine
- Fellowship in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology
- Fellowship in Geriatric Medicine
- Fellowship in Hematology/Oncology
- Fellowship in Sports Medicine
These programs are designed to provide you with specialized training in a specific medical field, and you will gain hands-on experience by working with experienced doctors in the field. You can select a fellowship program that aligns with your career goals and interests. NEET PG marks vs rank and NEET PG counseling cut-off can be helpful in deciding which fellowship to pursue.
4. MBA in Healthcare Management: If you want to work in the
healthcare industry but not as a doctor, you can consider pursuing an MBA in healthcare management. This program focuses on the business aspects of healthcare and equips you with the knowledge and skills to effectively manage healthcare facilities. With this degree, you can work in various settings such as hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, and other healthcare organizations. The curriculum includes topics like healthcare policy, financial management, operations management, marketing, and leadership.
Pursuing an MBA in healthcare management can open up opportunities for you to make a difference in the healthcare industry by improving patient care and outcomes, streamlining processes, and making sure of the efficient use of resources.
1. What is the career after PG in medicine?
After completing post-graduation in medicine, one can pursue a career as a specialist doctor or surgeon, work in healthcare administration, or pursue academic and research positions.
2. What is the salary of the NEET PG in India?
The salary of the NEET PG doctor in India can vary depending on factors such as specialization, location, and type of employer, but generally ranges from Rs 50,000 to Rs 2 lakhs per month.
3. Which is the most demanding branch in NEET PG?
The most demanding branches in the NEET PG can vary each year, but generally, branches like cardiology, neurology, and gastrology are popular choices among candidates.
4. What is the use of NEET PG?
NEET PG is a qualifying exam that medical graduates in India must pass to pursue postgraduate medical courses such as MD, MS, and PG Diploma, and it serves as the basis for admission to these courses.
5. Do NEET PG students get paid?
NEET PG students do not get paid, but post-graduate doctors receive a monthly salary during their residency training period.