Occupational Health Fellowship Programes
Occupational Health Fellowship is also known as Industrial Health Fellowship is a certificate course that enables the doctors who have completed their MBBS to work as a Factory Medical Officer(FMO) in big conglomerates. This certificate can be obtained from 17 national institutions.
What is Industrial Health Fellowship
Occupational Health Fellowship is also known as Industrial health fellowship is a one-of-a-kind course that enables the doctors to be qualified to take up the job as Factory Medical Officer (FMO) at Occupational Health Centers of various conglomerates.
Giant companies and industries all over the world have a certain type of responsibility towards their employees. To ensure the well-being of their staff these organizations have to build Occupational Health Centre (OHC) and hire doctors who conduct regular medical checkups and keep an eye on the health of their staff.
The work profile of a Factory Medical Officer (FMO)
As in charge of an Occupational Health Center, you'll be responsible for performing some of the basic tasks regularly to ensure the well-being of the workers. Examples may include:
- Providing First aid and primary care
- Conduct a physical assessment of workers regularly
- Issuing fitness certificates to workers for certain jobs
- Prepare reports and conduct an audit M
- Create an environmental and health-related checklist
- Provide first aid training to the workers
- Counsell the patients who might have faced a hazardous situation
- Looking after the well-being of the employees
To become a Factory Medical Officer (FMO) you need to do a fellowship course from an authorized Institute. There are multiple institutes that offer these kinds of courses, and finishing these courses will qualify you to take up a job in a factory or an industry.
Associate Fellow of Industrial Health (AFIH)
The associate fellow of Industrial Health is a 3-month full-time course offered by 17 national institutes that are affiliated with Directorate General Factory Advice Service & Labour Institutes (DGFASLI).
The academic session for this course starts in August.
- MBBS degree from a recognized university.
- One year of experience in a factory/ port/ construction site or Two-year clinical medical experience
Number of seats - 600
- 45,000/- for sponsored candidates (a candidate is regarded as a sponsored candidate when a company or an industry pays for the study of that candidate)
- 40,000/- for Non sponsored candidates/everyone else
How to apply -
- Find the right institute for you from Docthub.com
- Get the contact details and email id of the institute from Docthub.
- Prepare and send two sets of required documents, one to your choice of institute and another to the Directorate General Factory Advice Service & Labor Institutes (DGFASLI).
- Send the documents via email as well as a physical copy of the same to both addresses.
Certificate for Industrial Health (CIH)
Certificate for Industrial Health is a 6-month distance learning course offered by the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Gujarat. This course is offered under the center for lifelong learning and extension.
The university also offers weekend classes for students who want to opt for on-campus study.
The academic session for this course starts in the month of July.
MBBS degree from a recognized university.
The fees of this course will be around 30,000/-
Job scope -
The scope for this profession is very vast. As we see new conglomerates establishing large factories every year, the need for healthcare officers is always going to climb up.
As a fresher, after finishing this course you can work for large companies part-time and earn up to 35,000/- to 40,000/- depending on the company.
If you plan to work full time after finishing this course, you can earn up to 75,000/- to 80,000/- Experience may even get up to 1,00,000/- per month for their work.
When you work for a big company, there are always many other perks such as insurance, housing allotment, etc. that you get once you become an employee of that company. These perks differ from company to company.
These are some of the institutes and associations which provide the required guidance and help to professionals who are seeking to make a career in this field.
- Occupational Safety and Health Association (OSHA)
- Indian Association of Occupational Health (IAOH)
- Association of Occupational Health Karnataka (AOHK)
- American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM)
- National Institute of Occupational Health (NIOH) under ICMR
You can learn more about Healthcare courses and find the college/institute that suits you the best by visiting courses.docthub.com