DM (Doctorate of Medicine) : Eligibility, Specialties and Career Scope
DM is a 3 year super subspeciality degree that a student can obtain after finishing his/her MD/MS/DNB. DM is the highest medical degree that a doctor can achieve in his/her career.
DM or Doctorate of Medicine is a super subspeciality degree that a student can pursue after finishing their MD/MS/DNB. It is a 3-year course and is offered by many Government as well as private institutes in India. Candidates who pursue their career for DM get exposure to theory, practical as well as research methodology of the selected subject.
- Any specialist having an MD/MS or DNB degree is eligible for the DM course. The scholastic value of the student is considered for determination in this course. Following are some of the criteria that a student needs to fulfill.
- The merit of a candidate is calculated on the basis of a competitive exam conducted by the State Government.
- The merit of a candidate as per a national level centralized competitive test.
- If the candidate has completed his education from the same university, in that case, a cumulative performance of the above given two merits along with MBBS is taken into consideration.
- A base level of 50% must be obtained by candidates of the general category and 40% by SC, ST, and OBC candidates in the DM entrance exam.
- For Non-Government institutions, the competent authority has to fill up to 50% of the seats and the institution’s management has to fill the remaining 50% of seats. This process needs to be done on the basis of students’ merit.
Specialties in DM
- Clinical Hematology
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Medical Gastroenterology
- Medical Genetics
- Medical Oncology
- Neuro Radiology
- Pulmonary Medicine
There are multiple excellent opportunities that you can get once you finish your DM. Majority of super-specialists start working with reputed hospitals after finishing this course. You can also work in a higher position in a Government Department after finishing your DM.
Doctors who have finished their DM earn an average sum of ₹ 20-30 lakh per annum in India.
You can learn more about Healthcare courses and find the college/institute that suits you the best by visiting courses.docthub.com