Dietetics and Nutrition : Admission, Courses, Syllabus, Eligibility, Exam & Career
Bachelor of Science in Dietetics and Nutrition is an undergraduate full-time course. The course covers topics in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics Science. Graduates are employed in Outpatient Clinics, Public Health Programs, Athletic Clubs, Government & Private Hospitals, Colleges & Universities, etc.
Bachelor of Science in Dietetics and Nutrition is an undergraduate full-time course. The course duration is 3 years. It is a subject for bioscience students. It covers the topics in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics Science and helps the students to prepare a proper diet for people, food management, components of a balanced diet, eating habits, and lifestyle management, among others. This course can be pursued in India for an average annual course fee ranging between INR 1 and 5 Lacs, varying across institutes, the program is divided into 6 semesters. Admission to the course is offered based on candidates' performance. After the successful completion of the course, such graduates are employed in Outpatient Clinics, Public Health Programs, Athletic Clubs, Government & Private Hospitals, Wellness Centers, Colleges & Universities, etc. The average annual salary offered to such graduates in India ranges between INR 2 and 8 Lacs, the salaries increase with time and experience.
Advantages of Dietetics and Nutrition:
The kind of food we consume has a significant amount of impact on our health and making changes in our diet can help in the prevention or control of many health-related issues. Students who pursue this course are taught to break down food processes at their cellular level and how to apply scientific concepts in medical nutrition therapy and community education practices. Dietetics has a strong impact on public health and requires a commitment to educating a country’s population about its necessity. A dietitian or nutritionist’s work is to use food and nutrition science to improve a person’s health. They are considered to be an essential part of the healthcare system.
Candidates who are aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 from a recognized educational Board.
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics as the main subjects
- Diploma holders, who have completed a related diploma after class X, are also eligible to apply for the course.
- A candidate must have a minimum aggregate score of 55% at the level of graduation.
- Candidates appearing for their final 10+2 examination are also eligible to apply for the course on a provisional basis.
Entrance examination for getting enrolled in B.Sc. Nutrition:
Mentioned below are some of the major entrance examinations conducted in the country for admission in B.Sc. Nutrition
- AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) Entrance Test
- DU (University of Delhi) Entrance Examination
- JMI (Jamia Millia Islamia) Entrance Exam
- JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University) Entrance Examination
B. Sc. Nutrition - Admission Procedure:
Most of the institutes in India admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. There are two rounds of counseling in which the first round is group discussion and personal interview, wherein the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined. Some institutes conduct entrance tests for admission. The admission process generally varies across colleges. A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s score at the 10+2 level.
Skills required for becoming dieticians:
- Candidates should have a friendly and patient nature.
- Candidates must have an interest in learning about the functioning and need for various nutrients in the body.
- passion for contributing to a healthy society, by preventing diseases before they occur.
- Candidates should have good communication and writing skills, for producing reports, leaflets, etc.
- planning and administrative skills and organizational abilities.
Key Highlights of Course:
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics|
|Course duration||3 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% marks in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as compulsory subjects.|
|Average fees||INR 50,000- INR 2.5 Lakhs per annum|
|Annual Salary||INR 2-7 Lakhs per annum|
Top Dietetics Colleges Across India:
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country are:
Hans Raj College (HRC), New Delhi
Presidency College, Chennai
Miranda College, New Delhi
Mount Carmel College (MCC), Bangalore
ST. Xavier’s College, Kolkata / Mumbai
Hindu College, New Delhi
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
Mt. Carmel College, Bangalore
ST Joseph’s College, Devagiri Calicut
Elphinstone College, Mumbai
Suresh Gyan Vihar Institute, Jaipur
Christ University, Bangalore
Madras Christian College (MCC), Chennai
The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore
Stella Maris College, Chennai
Ramjas College, New Delhi
Fergusson College, Pune
You can learn more about Healthcare courses and find the college/institute that suits you the best by visiting courses.docthub.com