BUMS (Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery) : Admission, Courses, Syllabus, Eligibility, Exam & Career
BUMS stands for Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery. Admissions for this course are done through NEET. Unani medicine includes four elements of the universe namely air, earth, water, and fire.
BUMS stands for Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery. It is an undergraduate medical course in the field of Unani medicine and surgery. The course duration of this degree is considered completed in 5.5 years which involves 4.5 years of main course classes and 1-year internship and the education and training of this course are regulated by the Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM), which is a statutory body under the Department of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH) in India. For this course as per data of CCIM, there are 1,706 seats for B.U.M.S. across the country. One who is interested in this course should fulfill the eligibility criteria of B.U.M.S. The admissions to the course are done through NEET.
Advantages of Unani Medicine and Surgery
Unani medicine says that the four elements of the universe; air, earth, water, and fire kind of have a role in maintaining any person’s health. Disruption of these elements results in diseases, according to Unani. To add to that, the four internal body substances that enrich a person’s health and maintain equilibrium are blood, phlegm, black bile, and yellow bile.
Like general medicine, pulse examination also plays an important role in Unani. Characteristics such as size, strength, speed, consistency, rate, regularity, and rhythm are considered. If necessary, a urine and stool examination is carried out too.
The treatment of Unani can be divided into four types of therapies:
- Regimental therapy (exercise, massage, Turkish bath, etc.)
- Diet therapy (Diet Plans)
- Pharmacotherapy (Drugs are mainly plant-based)
Eligibility Criteria To Get Enrolled In BUMS Course:
Some of the common and major eligibility criteria which are required to get enrolled in the BUMS course are listed below:
- The candidates should have completed 10+2 with a minimum 50% aggregate score in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English.
- The age of the candidates should be more than 17 years of age.
- The candidates should be medically fit, as all candidates should have a report of medical fitness before getting enrolled in this course.
- Completing education in Urdu at the school level will be an added advantage.
- Should have appeared in an entrance examination like NEET.
Entrance Exams Required To Get Enrolled In BUMS Course:
To get admission in The Unani medicine system one has to qualify for the required entrance exam then only they will be eligible to get admission. Some of the common entrance exams name are listed below:
NEET- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is the pre-medical test. By qualifying for this exam the students in India can get admission to medical courses. This exam occurs at the national level every year.
KEAM - Kerala Engineering Architecture Medical is an entrance exam. This exam allows students to join Engineering, Architecture and Ayurvedic, and Unani Medical courses in the Kerala state
CPAT - Combined Pre-AYUSH Test. By qualifying for this entrance exam students who are seeking admission to UG courses that are under the AYUSH system – BUMS, BAMS, and BHMS can get enrollment in their preferred colleges.
CPMEE – By qualifying for this entrance exam, the students can get admission in MBBS courses in Homeopathy, Unani, etc. in any college in Uttarakhand.
How To Get Admission To BUMS Colleges:
- Most of the colleges give admission to BAMS courses after qualifying entrance exam only. So, to get admission to the BUMS course one has to be dedicated towards their entrance exam preparation and should qualify for any of the required entrance exams at both state and national levels.
- As most of the entrance exams have negative markings, students must be careful while attending the questions.
- The key point to crack these needed entrance exams is to prepare the analytical types of questions. By doing this, aspirants will have an upper hand on the day of the exam.
- Students must keep track of data of all the important dates of the entrance exams, counseling, and other admission-related procedure dates so that they don’t miss any opportunities.
Specialization of BUMS:
- Under this course or degree, the students are taught about the various techniques and procedures that are involved or used in the Unani medicine practice.
- Degree in BUMS falls under Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) and is controlled and monitored by the Central Council of Indian Medicine.
- This medication study is based on four principles: signs, symptoms, laboratory features, and Hijaz, to diagnose treating any disease.
Key Highlights of The Course:
|Name of Course||Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery|
|Course Duration||5.5 years|
|Internship Duration||1 year|
|Discipline||Unani Medical Science|
|Average Fee||Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 650,000|
|Average Salary||Rs.200,000 to Rs. 1,200,000 per annum|
|Job Options||Scientist, Consultant, Pharmacist, Therapist, Drug Inspector, Medical Assistant, Professor|
Job Scope After Completing BUMS Degree:
Some of the common job scopes after completing a BUMS degree are listed below:
- Private practice
- Medical assistant
- Public health specialist
Tops BUMS Colleges Across India:
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik
- Deoband Unani Medical College, Saharanpur
- Aligarh Ayurvedic Unani Medical College, Aligarh
- Ayurvedic & Unani Tibbia College & Hospital, New Delhi
- Guru Ravidas Ayurved University, Hoshiarpur
- Government Unani Medical College, Bangalore
- National Institute of Unani Medicine, Bangalore
You can learn more about Healthcare courses and find the college/institute that suits you the best by visiting courses.docthub.com